Re: Compile vs. Apt-get(was woody+php+php-nuke)

"Wayne Sitton" <waynes@techgod.net> writes:

> So, if I compile some of the packages on my own, will that be recognized by
> apt/dselect?
> In other words if I complie php4 manually, then later on I use dselect to
> add a package that requires php4, will apt/dselect recognize that I already
> have it installed.

If you got the php4.tar.gz file, untarred it, ran configure, then did a
make install, Debian will not know that you have the php4 package
installed, and it will not upgrade your php4. The only way Debian can
know that you have php4 installed is if you install a .deb using dpkg
(atp,dselect,etc.).

What are you doing that you feel you need to compile packages that are
already in the Debian archives? If you give us some more information, we
might be able to point you to the "correct" procedures.

--
Dave Carrigan (dave@rudedog.org)            | Yow! A GRAM??  A BRAM...  A
UNIX-Apache-Perl-Linux-Firewalls-LDAP-C-DNS | GROOM...  A BROOM...  Oh, Yeh!!