Re: /etc/mail/nsswitch.conf (and /etc/mail/service.switch*)

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Andrew Pollock wrote:

> Subject: /etc/mail/nsswitch.conf (and /etc/mail/service.switch*)
>
> Are these used by sendmail or are they there for demonstration purposes?

They are indeed used, and should mirror your /etc/nsswitch.conf (barring
the small syntatic change).

> I'm running 8.11.3+8.12.0.Beta7-8, and it's doing some kooky stuff with
> respect to DNS resolution and mail delivery. It's swearing black and blue
> that a domain isn't resolving so it's queuing it, but I can resolve it by
> hand. Very confusing, and very annoying.

I'll bet you've got a b0rked name server in your path...

Install Beta10-1,Beta7-9, or if they're not yet available, add this to
/etc/mail/sendmail.mc:
define(`confBIND_OPTS', `+WorkAroundBrokenAAAA')dnl

run sendmailconfig (or make)

restart/reload sendmail

> Even if you send a test message by connecting to port 25, and manually
> talking SMTP, after going RCPT TO: it goes "Recipient ok, (will queue)",
> so it categorically thinks the domain's uncontactable (or at least
> unresolveable).
>
> Just wondering if the switch files have anything to do with it.

Not with this problem...

--
Rick Nelson
<Knghtbrd> you people are all insane.