woody+php3+php-nuke

I had php-nuke up and running on Debian stable with php4.

Because of another program I wanted to run, I had to upgrade to woody

first it un-installed my php4, in dselect when I tried to re-install it
it complains about the version of apache-commons...?(why?)
so, I installed php3, but when I go to the website I get this error

Fatal error: Call to unsupported or undefined function mysql_connect() in
mainfile.php on line 33

First I thought it may have to do with something else that upgraded, so I
un-installed php3, mysql, and php-nuke.  I re-installed the 3 from scratch,
but I still get the error

Fatal error: Call to unsupported or undefined function mysql_connect() in
mainfile.php on line 33

the section of mainfile.php is

$mainfile = 1;
mysql_connect($dbhost, $dbuname, $dbpass);
@mysql_select_db("$dbname") or die ("Unable to select database");

I've checked username and password, and those are correct, the ddhost is set
to localhost.

please help, before I pull my hair out!

Wayne