From: Andy Davidson [mailto:pheon@hevanet.com]
Sent: Monday, May 28, 2001 6:54 PM
To: Colin Watson
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Can't find ssh

I tried inserting the lines into /etc/apt/sources.list and then did
sulu:/etc/apt# dselect update
which gave me:
Get:1 http://non-us.debian.org unstable/non-US/main Packages [49.3kB]
Get:2 http://non-us.debian.org unstable/non-US/main Release [89B]
Get:3 http://non-us.debian.org unstable/non-US/contrib Packages [1046B]
Get:4 http://non-us.debian.org unstable/non-US/contrib Release [92B]
Get:5 http://non-us.debian.org unstable/non-US/non-free Packages [5336B]
Get:6 http://non-us.debian.org unstable/non-US/non-free Release [93B]
Get:7 http://non-us.debian.org unstable/non-US/main Sources [18.5kB]
Ign http://non-us.debian.org unstable/non-US/main Release
Get:8 http://non-us.debian.org unstable/non-US/contrib Sources [483B]
Ign http://non-us.debian.org unstable/non-US/contrib Release
Get:9 http://non-us.debian.org unstable/non-US/non-free Sources [1598B]
Ign http://non-us.debian.org unstable/non-US/non-free Release
Fetched 76.5kB in 49s (1539B/s)
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Merging Available information
Replacing available packages info, using /var/cache/apt/available.
Information about 4175 package(s) was updated.
which seems OK, but when I did
sulu:/etc/apt# apt-get install ssh
I got
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  ssh: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.2-2) but 2.1.3-10 is to be installed
       Depends: libssl0.9.6 but it is not going to be installed
E: Sorry, broken packages
Now what?  I am very confused and a little concerned.  Is this ever going to
work or am I in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike? :-)  It reads
like I have to resolve the dependencies ad infinitum.  Isn't that the
purpose of apt-get?.....

andy