RE: web management question

I would recommend changing from proftp to ncftp, it has a conf file that has a default to lock users into their home directory.  I would also recommend using webmin for server administration.  This can be found at http://www.webmin.com.

Wayne
-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Egglestone [mailto:megglestone@sd57.bc.ca]
Sent: Monday, May 28, 2001 2:39 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: web management question

Hi...

I need some advice on how to manage my web server....
I work for a school and would like to setup web pages for students....

I have apache installed and proftpd

How would I manage the server so that students could have write access
to their web folder... for example

jimmy would have this folder as his home page:
/var/www/students/jimmy

/var/www/students/jimmy/homepage.html     would be his first page

Anyway.... if his normal home directory is here:
/home/jimmy

How do I give him access to write to his web directory via ftp or some remote way?
If jimmy was on the lan......then I could easily setup a samba share to students...
and he would have write access only to his folder there....but what if he's outside the lan....
at home......and wants to update his pages.....?

I was thinking I could change his regular home directory (/home/jimmy to /var/www/students/jimmy) via /etc/passwd.... but is that a good idea?

Thanks for your time
Mike