cd audio problems under 2.2.19?

Hello,

Under kernel 2.2.16 I can play CD audio normally; however, under
2.2.19 I get

14:58 tty1 $ cdir
unknown cd - 64:30 in 6 tracks
 10:11.62  1
 15:17.00  2
  9:59.08  3
  8:19.55  4
  3:39.12  5
 17:01.40  6
14:58 tty1 $ cdplay
sr0: CDROM (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL REQUEST.
sr0: CDROM (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL REQUEST.
cdplay: ioctl cdromplaytrkind
14:58 tty1 $ cdinfo
no-status

and nothing happens.  Is this a known issue or have I done something
dumb in my compile?  The kernel is stock 2.2.19, patched (without
errors) from the working 2.2.16 source with the kernel.org patches and
configured with 'make oldconfig'.  I did not use the Debian kernel
packages.

Thanks for any help.

Rob

--
Let me put it this way: today is going to be a learning experience.