From: okidz [mailto:okidz]On Behalf Of Oki DZ
Sent: Sunday, May 27, 2001 9:57 PM
To: Wayne Sitton
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Sendmail aliases error

Wayne Sitton wrote:
> Cannot open hash database /etc/mail/aliases.db: Invalid argument
> WARNING: cannot open alias database /etc/mail/aliases
> Cannot create database for alias file /etc/mail/aliases
>
> What's the deal?

Are you using unstable?
Try apt-get update, and reinstall sendmail (remove
/var/cache/apt/archives/sendmail*, to make sure). I have my system all
right after installing sendmail8.11+8.12 and libdb3 3.20-5.

BTW, the new Sendmail can multi-thread; try to send email using "mail",
and repeat it in a tight loop (eg: using Perl), say, for 250 times. Then
netstat; you'd see that the mail server would open 250 smtp ports on the
destination servers. Interesting... (espescially when your system grinds
to a halt due to out of swapspace :-)

There must be some (free) process accounting software out there...

Oki