Re: line numbers in code

Romain Lerallut wrote:-

> > > You can run *any* text through cpp (not just C program sources, I use it
> > > for my Fortran codes:)
> >
> > That's not true, certainly in GCC 3.0.
> >
> > Neil.
> >
> hmmmm:
>
> echo '__LINE__' | cpp-3.0  -P
> 1
>
> looks like you can ( with my Fortran codes too!)
> :-)

I don't understand what your example proves.

We made an effort to help Fortran and assembler.  Although in general
you cannot preprocess even Fortran and assembler.  With Python, for
example, you'd lose all your tabs.  Basically, if you don't care about
whitespace preservation, and your file lexes like C (in that, e.g. all
charconsts and strings are closed), you can probably get away with it.

You're advised not to rely too heavily on it though - 3.0 is more
strict than 2.95 and will not accept some stuff that 2.95 did.

Neil.