[Kris.VanHeurck@siemens.atea.be: i810 chipset on potato]

|> I am currently installing Debian GNU/Linux potato on a machine in
|> our labs.  I found out (by opening the case, since I had no
|> documentation on the machine) that there is a i810 chipset inside.

I'm not sure if our two situations are similar, but a couple of months
ago I had to install Debian (potato) on a Dell Optiplex, which has an
on-board video card which uses the i810 chipset.

It worked beautifully in the end, but the only way I found to make it
work well was to use the version of the agpgart module available from
the Intel site itself, along with the XFCom_i810 server from the same
site (support.intel.com).

There's a PDF document at the Intel site which provides very clear
step by step instructions for all of this. I still have a copy which
I'll be happy to mail you if you want it.

I have a worry that having set the system up this way is going to
complicate the upgrade to woody and XFree 2.4; but at the time it was
the only solution that I could actually make work. And it worked
really well.

Jim