RE: Progeny install problems

On Fri, 25 May 2001 00:12:42 -0700, Jen wrote:

> I'm trying to reinstall Progeny Debian 1.0 (boxed copy), and I'm getting weird problems.
>
>  My original plan was to boot off the CD, use the partition program to remove the root partition and reformat it, and proceed with the install.  This didn't work --
>  the Progeny partition tool accepted my commands, but when I clicked next, it immediately said it was finished and that I could reboot.
>
>  Not only did it not copy any files, but it didn't reformat the partition, either. When I rebooted, the old system was still there.
>
>  I then deleted the root partition using parted and tried again. Still no dice. Any ideas why this might be?  I recall that the first time I installed Progeny
>  Debian 1.0, it worked just fine.  Of course, I didn't have a copy of 1.0 on it previously. I can't really think of anything much different (after deleting the
>  partition) other than having GRUB installed.  Could this cause some weirdness?
>
>  Thanks!
>
>  Jen

I had the EXACT same problem trying to install Progeny from a d/l iso
file shortly after the Final Release.  I contacted Progeny and received
a very nice response about a "bad iso d/l" and some instructions on how
to use rsync to get the correct file.  I did the steps involved BUT the
"problem" persisted.

I had previously been using the betas and they worked fine, so this
stupmped me.  I could "upgrade" just fine, but I could NOT do a "fresh"
install to an empty partition OR some free disk space that was
sandwitched between existing partitions.  I like to experiment with
multiple Linux distros here, so this was somewhat frustrating to me as
it thwarted my plans for my machine.

I finally got it to install by moving all the existing partition
together at the front of the HD, and leaving the un-partitioned "free"
space at the end of the disk.  I used Partion Magic 6.0 to do this, but
I think you can also use Parted as well although I haven't used it in
that manner.  Once I had all the "free" space at the end of the disk
space, then using the "Use Free Disk Space" option worked fine and
Progeny installed just fine.

BTW, it wouln't install to a pre-existing "empty" ext2 partition created
by any other disk partitioning program (FDISK, CFDISK, Partition Magic,
Parted, etc.).  I tried them all.  It will only install to
un-partitioned disk space that extends to the end of the HD.  Also, this
means that you cannot install to an extended partition.  You MUST have a
couple of free "Primary" partition numbers available for it to use, i.e
hda1-4 (one for / and one for swap).  My HD is currently setup as
hda1=Fat32, hda2=Extended, hda3=Linux Swap, hda4=Ext2, hda5-7=FAT32
extended partitions.

I sent a second follow-up message to Progeny on this, but did not
receive any response.  You might want to check out their Bug Tracking
List to see if any others have reported this "problem".  There might be
some other clues there on how to handle it better than I did.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-