Re: Problem with Adaptec AIC 7xxx driver with Debian 2.2 (kernel2.2.17)

Sachin Garg wrote:

> On Fri, 25 May 2001, Daniel Faller wrote:
>
> > On Friday 25 May 2001 13:55, Sachin Garg wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I am trying to install Debian 2.2 with 2.2.17 on a system with the Adaptec
> > > chip supported by the AIC 7xxx driver.
> > >
> > > While booting up, I get messages " Trying to reset SCSI. Timed Out.
> > > Synchronous at 20.0 MB/s at offset 15" These
> > > messages continue and I am unable to start installation.
> > >
> > > We only have SCSI HDDs on that machine.
> > >
> > > Any ideas as to how to sort out this problem?
> > Is the SCSI bus terminated correctly. When I had this message last time, I
> > was using a wrong terminator. :-(
>
> Thanks for the prompt reply.
>
> I ought to have mentioned that the machine has been running NT4.0 till
> now. We haven't touched the machine physically.

I had the same problem. When using larger, 10K RPM IBM disks such as DMVS18M
I experienced the same thing. Solution was to build aic7xxx module with
"Delay in seconds after SCSI bus reset" (CONFIG_AIC7XXX_RESET_DELAY) setting
set to 20 seconds. I don't know why reasonably modern disks have problems
with fast initializing.

--
Mariusz Zielinski