Help! Exim+mutt problem

Hello,

I'm having a problem with my setup - all the non-local emails sent with mutt
fail (illegal From), while /usr/bin/Mail is working just right.  My .muttrc
doesn't change any of the use_from and use_domain.  The system-wide config is
the default one.  My only additions to the exim configuration is the use of
/etc/email-addresses and queue_remote_domains (I'm on dial-up).

The computer is a woody.  Mutt is 1.2.5 from potato (1.3.x is buggy).  Any
suggestions/hints?

--ET.