gdm not starting

Greetings,

I just did a fresh potato install for a friend, including X 3.3.6, Ximian
Gnome 1.4 and the ~bunk updates for 2.4.4 and gdm doesn't start on boot,
although it starts fine with `/etc/init.d/gdm start' as root.

I checked the permissions on the file and compared the file to my own and
all seems well.

Can anyone suggest something else for me to check?

Thanks :)

Matthew Thompson       http://mattyt.net
mattyt@oz.net          http://www.oz.net/~mattyt
"For better or worse, you can't change where you're
from or what you've done.  You can only hope to change
who you are and where you're going.  Provided that's
necessary, of course."