Re: Missing mails

On Thu, 24 May 2001 10:00:53 PDT, Jaye wrote:

>     G'mornin' Paul,

And good afternoon to you, Jaye

> Have you looked into your mail queue to verify that there is no mail sitting
> there undelivered? I can see several other possible problems, but you can
> quickly verify if the problem is your box by reading the mail logs. Find out
> where your mailer keeps it's running logs and read up on them for yesterday.

Already checked both, the mail spool (var/spool/masqmail/input) is empty.
I originally checked using "mailq".

> If they were sent and acknowledged by your smtp then it's not your problem
> locally, but a problem somewhere else.

I thought that originally, but wanted to get a second opinion. I'm now sure it's
nothing to do with my setup, but was unsure that I was assessing the
situation correctly.

> Mail is something people get crazy about. I have an attorney who's office has
> yet to deliver successfully an email to my wife. I've offered to help track
> down the problems, but like you already mentioned, it's a built in way to
> have a perpetual excuse - "oh, you *didn't* get my email?" - after a year,
> it's rhetorical!

Yeah, I've heard the excuse from clients (I sometimes work in construction) and
friends before.  I always thought it was something they said when they owe
me money ;-)  I couldn't really be sure thought, because I have almost no
expirience with the systems the use (Win9x, and Mac).  Perhaps if I used
something other than GNU/Linux, the occasional bug wouldn't bother me so
much. (I'd grow accustomed to them!)

> good luck to you.

Thanks, but I don't need luck, I've got Debian!

--
Paul T. Wright <paul@cvanet.com>
-currently seeking employment-