Re: Newbie: where did my tar.gz file decompress to?

   Hello Abner,

If you had NVIDIA.tar.gz on a floppy and issued that command, then you
*should* be able to now look at the floppy and see that it just decompressed
into a NEW directory on your floppy. I see another has mentioned the use of
the "-" is not required for the tar command.

Now, typically, I cp (copy) my tar file somewhere on my hard drive for
uncompressing. Locally I use /home/~/temp. If I'm working as root, I use /tmp
directory since it's cleared every time I boot and I really appreciate that.

Do a 'man tar' and it will give you more info as to the arguements for the
tar command. I don't really care to see stuff happening, so I leave out the
'v' which is Verbose. I would just do 'tar xfz filethatistard.tar.gz' and it
will create the new directory and extract the contents there.

Now, the 'ls' command is great. Use 'ls -l' to see not only the tar'd file
but the new directory you just created. You can 'cd' into the directory and
re-issue the 'ls -l' command etc.

hth and good luck

--

Jaye Inabnit\ARS ke6sls/TELE: USA-707-442-6579\/A GNU-Debian linux user
Email: ke6sls@arrl.net WEB: http://www.qsl.net/ke6sls ICQ: 12741145