frustration using /etc/modules.conf & 2.4.4 kernel

I recently installed the 2.4.4 kernel (with the Linux Progress Patch,
for kicks) but I haven't been able to configure the modules I'd
requested.  To be brief I'll describe the situation since I ran
apt-get upgrade this week.

Modconf would show just two drivers, but I hadn't chosen these with my
most recent build.  Removing /lib/modules/2.4.4 and creating that
directoryname as a symlink to /lib/modules/2.4.4lpp enabled me modconf
to show me all the modules I had built (this could have been a
consequence of LPP's instruction to add "lpp" to the version string in
the Makefile).

However, when I request any of the drivers installed by the kernel's
modules_install target (but not the ALSA install target), modprobe
cannot locate the module.

I added an echo statement to the /usr/share/modconf/util script,
printing the arguments to the failing modprobe command:

$SIMULATE modprobe $module -C $Target/etc/modules.conf =>
  modprobe loop -C /etc/modules.conf

loop.o is present under /lib/modules/2.4.4, which leads me to suspect
that modules.conf should explain why loop.o cannot be found, but
snd-ac97-codec can, which also resides under /lib/modules/2.4.4.

I've been reading modules.conf, but so far I cannot make out why it
would block modprobe from discovering these files.  The modules.dep
for 2.4.4, created with depmod that also reads modules conf, also
ignores my kernel modules.  Only the modules under
/lib/modules/2.4.4/misc, the ALSA sound modules, appear in
modules.dep.

Please excuse me if this is very confusing, but if someone could give
me a direction to follow I'd greatly appreciate it.

thanks in advance!

ben taylor

mithras@dhp.com / http://www.dhp.com/~mithras
"If you buy a person a ticket, they'll see a movie that day.
 But if you show a person how to sneak in, they'll see movies for a lifetime."
 Mark Stanley, _Freefall_, http://www.purrsia.com/freefall/