Re: printer problem

On Wed, 23 May 2001, Wayne Topa wrote:

>     Subject: printer problem
>     Date: Tue, May 22, 2001 at 07:23:54PM -0500

> Quoting Thomas H. George(georgeacct@spininternet.com):
> > Trying to make printer (brother HL-730 on parallel port) work from
> > debian linux 2.2.19:
> >
> > lp testtxt
> >
> > and from Abiword in ximian gnome desk top.  Compiled the kernel with
> > parallel printer support and autoprobe.
> >

> Look at the past months mail archive for discussion on this.
>
> I have a Brother HL-10V worling fine using magicfilter.  Could only
> get a great test page out of apsfilter. :(
>
> Works for every program I have tried.
>
> One other thought.  Have you compiled the kernel correctly?  A lot of
> parport options there.  Also have you included the parport options in
> the appends= in lilo.conf?  ie:
> append  = "lp=parport0 parport=0x378,none"
>
> ( 'none' means don't ise an IRQ, which isn't required for the printer)

I think  you want to try lpr foo.txt instead of lp foo.txt - it may just be that it doesn't recognize the command you're trying to give it.  If you can cat text to the printer, don't mess with you're base settings (IRQ, DMA, etc.) because the information is getting to the right port.  It's something either in what you're telling it (i.e., wrong command) or in the configuration (i.e., /etc/printcap is misconfigured).  Try man printcap for a description of what you should be seeing in the file, and compare irt to what you actually see.
Good luck,
Steve