Re: debian-user-digest Digest V101 #717

> hello all,
>
> this is going to be a long one I guess:
> Problem: instaling sound
> OS: Debian 2.2r3 (all 3 binary CD's)
> Hardware: yamaha opl sax
>
> What I've accomplished:
> pnpdump >>/etc/isapnp.conf
> uncommented the appropriate entries in isapnp.conf (dmesg now show the
> card detected)
> added the (again) appropriate entries in /etc/modules
> (sound-slot-0...,options opl3sa2 mss_io,dma1...dmabuf=1, etc). I swear
> by those settings (I just copyed them from the previous install -same
> debian- where they worked -don't ask me what I've done then-);
> now at boot it sees the card,it tries to initialise it and gives me a
> bunch of errors that 'mss_io must be set, ...blah-blah...'; I log in,
> lsmod and it shows all the modules loaded (belive me I've seen the card
> working and I know that are all)
> OK, I ignore the errors, install xmms (libesd was installed before
> -maybe that's the problem?-), select output plugin esd AND IT JUST POPS
> UP THAT WINDOW that tells me to check if my sound card ...blah-blah.
> Now, I'm new to debian, although not to linux. I was used to redhat and
> it allways autodetected it whithout no problem.
> Am I skipping something that's obvious, or am I doing something wrong?

the difference between red hat and debian is that the default red hat
installation is insecure, and requires a lot of work to make it secure,
whereas the default debian installation is secure and requires a lot of
work to make it insecure.  as such, in debian, every user is not
automatically given permission to use the audio device(s).  you have to
give each user permission specifically.

assuming you are correct and you have everything set up properly, you
just need to add yourself to the audio group.  add the user id you want
to use sound with at the end of the audio: line in /etc/group.  i.e., to
give the user "dragos" permission to use audio devices, you would change
the line to read:

audio:x:29:dragos

(replace x with cipher if you are not using shadow passwords)

/ben

--
|_    |_ | _  _ |_   PGP public key: http://www.wilykit.com/wilykit.key
|_) . |_)|(_|(_ |\          "Never rub another man's rhubarb." -- Joker