security: PAP v CHAP

Sorry to bother you about this trivial question, but I couldn't find any
detail, authorised & satisfactory answers whether from Google search for
"pap v chap" or "pap vs chap" or even within the context of several
HOWTOs, e.g. PPP-HOWTO.

I want to know the security issues between PAP & CHAP in PPP Dial-in
server running Debian Linux:

Qn./ Which is more secure, PAP or CHAP?

Some people said PAP, some told me CHAP.
If PAP is less secure, why most ISPs are using PAP for subscribers'
authentication?

N.B. I'd be grateful if anyone can point me to some other relevant
on-line documentations.

Many thanks.