Re: nis +

From: Viktor Rosenfeld <rosenfel@informatik.hu-berlin.de>
To: Martin Würtele <martin@wuertele.cc>
CC: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: nis +
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 14:59:20 +0200

Martin Würtele wrote:

> On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 03:29:48AM -0400, Roderick Cummings wrote:
> > I am trying to learn how to admin nis and nis+. I found the nis package in > > debian, but does debian have an nis+ package? If not are there nis+ packages
> > else where?
>
> i don't know, just be aware that even in 2.4 the nis+ kernel server is sort
> of broken!

What's a NIS+ server doing in a kernel.  I mean, IIRC, there is no such
thing and it wouldn't even make sense for it to be there.

Ciao,
Viktor
--
Viktor Rosenfeld
WWW: http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~rosenfel/

Maybe he has confused nis and nfs. Although I'm not sure why nfs should be a kernel space daemon either. Maybe for performance reasons, or maybe just the range of things NFS must do calls for it.

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out. For starters I will work with the nis package already part of stable, a copy of the O'reilly nis and nfs book is floating around somewhere at work. That should be enough reading to keep me busy a while at least.