fonts and Netscape

Hello
I am having a problem with netscape (communicator 1:4.77-2) that doesn't
appear in any bug reports or a quick search of the archives.

When I scroll a page up or down or select some text some of the fonts turn out
garbled.
selecting or scrolling again fixes some parts of the text but garbles others.

I am using xfree86 4.0.3-3, xfs-xtt 1:1.3.0.xf403-2 and xfstt 1.2
Both font servers are running but I am not sure which one X is using.
everything else works fine including mozilla 0.9

has anyone else had a similar experience?

please cc to me as I am not subscribed.

Ben