patched rescue disk mount readonly / dell 2550

Hello.

I've tried (and more or less suceded) in making a set of installation
disks that will function on Dell PowerEdge 2550 (perc3/di chip).

I started with the disk images for dell 2450 found on
        http://www.merilus.com/~kevin/aacraid.html
compiled a new kernel (2.2.19 + aacraid + PERCID patch) and replaced the
original 'LINUX' on the rescue disk, run rdev and started installing.

Now the thing is, for some reason the root gets mounted read only while
using my new kernel (the first step when you set keyboard fails).  If I
remount the root read write, I can install as normal and everything
(seems like it) is working.  My question is; why does is mount the root
ro?  Using the original kernel mounts as it should (of course since I
didn't make it:-).

If anyone got any ideas, please share them with me.

Best regards,
        Emil

Btw:
In case someone got a free tip how to get the Ge interface work it would
be appreceated to...