Re: turning off exim on port 25

I believe it uses port 25 to talk even internally. What you can do, short of using an IPChains/Tables rule to deny external port 25 traffic, is to set the "local_interface" option in exim's config file. Set it to only lo and it'll only talk to the loopback device internally.

For more info consult the manpage. I don't run exim or I'd try to provide further info on the config file.