file types

HI All,
I've got a device file /dev/lcd of type "c":

    bash-2.03# ls -ld /dev/lcd
    crw-r--r--   1 root     root      10, 156 Apr  8  2001 /dev/lcd
    ^

This file controls the lcd on the front of my box.  I can print text to
the lcd like so:
    #echo "foo" >/dev/lcd

I just put Debian on this box and now that file looks like this:

    dixon@stiq:~$ ls -ld /dev/lcd
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root            3 Jan  1 06:45 /dev/lcd
    ^
Notice that there's no type and, you guessed it, the lcd doesn't work.

Any ideas how to change this file back to type "c"?

Thanks,
Andy