Re: moving partitions to another hard drive

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 12:07:10PM +1000, Renai LeMay wrote:
> ok, I have asked this question before, in a slightly different form, but I
> couldn't find it in the archives,
>
> say I had two IDE hdd's, hda and hdb.
>
> say that hda was composed of a swap partition and /.
>
> how would I create a situation where all my data and my swap partition was on
> hdb instead of hda?
>
> ie - so I could take hda out and throw it away?

There was just a huge string on this, search for the subject -
"Copying one hard drive to another"

I did this recently with no problems.  Here is the bare bones of it -

Put both drives in and create your partitions on hdb with fdisk or
cfdisk.
Create your file systems with "mkfs.ext2 -c" and "mkswap -c"
Mount /dev/hdb1 and copy / on hda over with "cp -ax"
Swap the drives and replace.

See the howto at -
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Hard-Disk-Upgrade/index.html
kent