Re: mail > news Gateway + 'X-No-Archive: yes' Stripping?

John Bacalle <john@unixen.org> wrote:
>* Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com> [20010521 13:09]:
>> My understanding is that linux.debian.user is deprecated in favor of
>> muc.lists.debian.user.
>  ^^^
>
>(I've been meaning to look up what this stands for?)
>
>Yes, well one source for linux* newsgroups being deprecated can be found
>through the LDP docs, that's where I last read it a couple of years ago.
>Look under a ~'where to get further help with Linux' resource link.
>
>One thing that I'm not sure still happens is that whomever is running
>this mail > news gateway honors, or is stripping (inadvertently perhaps)
>there, as I do. I don't mind Debian or any other ML I'm subscribed to
>maintaining a Web archive. However, I mention it only as I get the
>feeling (I'll check later in l.d.u. to see definitively) from finding
>some of my posts to this list appearing in groups.google.com that the
>header is being removed along the way.

If they're using mail2news (from newsgate), that strips all headers it
doesn't know about, including all X- headers. It's very annoying
behaviour.

>BTW, who is doing the gateway'ing? If need be, I'd like to contact them
>directly, other than looking at bang paths for a clue to their identity.

I believe it's done by Marco d'Itri (the Debian inn maintainer). There
was a discussion about it a couple of months ago either here or on
debian-devel, so you could search the archives; try looking for a post
about linux.* from Christoph Lameter.