Re: Root in X Display

On Mon, 21 May 2001 16:43:04 Chris Spencer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> How can I change my permissions so that root can run things on the X Display
> of my normal user? For example, if I drop to a command prompt, su to root,
> and try to configure the kernel by typing in "make xconfig" I get
> the error:

> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server

***WARNING*** you should NOT do this unless you are the sole user of
your machine, or you completely trust all the users who use your
machine.

you need to set this resource:

    DisplayManager.authorize: false

if you use xdm, you will find this resource line in the file
/etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config.  otherwise, i *think* you can add it to your
~/.Xresources file and get the same result (correction?).

this will turn off authorization for ALL users, not just root; i think
this is what you want.  if this is not what you want, read the
documentation for xauth (man xauth) specifically, and see the various
HOWTOs generally (XFree86-HOWTO, XWindow-Overview-HOWTO,
XWindow-User-HOWTO, etc.).

/ben

--
|_    |_ | _  _ |_   PGP public key: http://www.wilykit.com/wilykit.key
|_) . |_)|(_|(_ |\          "Never rub another man's rhubarb." -- Joker