Re: Root in X Display

On Mon, 21 May 2001 16:43:04 Chris Spencer wrote:

> Hello,
> How can I change my permissions so that root can run things on the X Display
> of my normal user? For example, if I drop to a command prompt, su to root,
> and try to configure the kernel by typing in "make xconfig" I get
> the error:
> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server

***WARNING*** you should NOT do this unless you are the sole user of
your machine, or you completely trust all the users who use your

you need to set this resource:

    DisplayManager.authorize: false

if you use xdm, you will find this resource line in the file
/etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config.  otherwise, i *think* you can add it to your
~/.Xresources file and get the same result (correction?).

this will turn off authorization for ALL users, not just root; i think
this is what you want.  if this is not what you want, read the
documentation for xauth (man xauth) specifically, and see the various
HOWTOs generally (XFree86-HOWTO, XWindow-Overview-HOWTO,
XWindow-User-HOWTO, etc.).

|_    |_ | _  _ |_   PGP public key: http://www.wilykit.com/wilykit.key
|_) . |_)|(_|(_ |\          "Never rub another man's rhubarb." -- Joker