Re: monitor display is getting blurry...what could be the problem?

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 10:50:01AM -0400, Walter Tautz wrote:
| is the video card that is sending faulty signals? or
| is it the monitor. The monitor is a Mag MXP17F about 6 years old.
| Any thoughts? Is there someway I can definitely confirm that the
| monitor is faulty or the videocard. Can I focus the monitor?

6 years old ... that's pretty old.  I read once that TV manufacturers
only expect an average lifetime of 5-7 years.  The monitor may be
getting dusty, or the electron guns may be misaligned.

I know someone who had a large TV that had a mirror at the bottom so
it was much shallower than a regular TV.  It started to get quite dim
after some time.  When he opened it up there was a lot of dust on the
mirror.  Cleaning the dust off solved the problem.  (might not be
relevant, but ...)

If you can try replacing the monitor _or_ video card.  By changing
only 1 of them you can determine which is causing the problem.
Changing the monitor is probably the easiest to do, if you have a
spare monitor you can try.

-D