Re: SMP machine hangs ofter

These are the same symptoms that I am having. It has been driving me
crazy! I am running Debian 2.2r3 with Ximian installed.

I am running ASUS P2B-DS with dual Pentium III 500 and 512 Meg RAM.

I find the following:

    * Performance actually improves with hard use. (That is, if I am
running a lot of processes - including VMware - they run faster when
different programs are running.

    * Network connections seem to "stutter". By that I mean that I
periodically get very long delays and then things speed up again.

    * System lock up occurs less frequently, but the symptom are mouse
freezing and sometimes the disk will seem to go into long periods of
activity (about 1/2 hour!)

I was planning to upgrade to the 2.4 kernel to see if that helped.

Do you have any new thoughts about what the problem may be?

Regards,

Randy