Re: small school: replacements for MS Word and Excel

i think star office is going to be your best bet as far as word
proccessing and graphing goes.	though, koffice might work, i havn't used
it in a long time, and it seemd nice enough then, so it might work for
you now.

might want to think of using one of the newer mozilla builds.  they're
fast enough to use all the time.

deb http://pandora.debian.org/~robot101/mozilla ./

adding that to your apt sources will get a fairly recent version.

On Sun, 20 May 2001 16:53:19 , joe golden whispered to the router:

!!I am trying to switch our small (12 machine) NT network over to Linux.
Some
!! of the main computer applications at our school are web browsing ,
word
!! processing and spreadsheets (MS Internet Explorer, Word and Excel).
!!
!! I am running Linux debian 2.2.18pre21 and just updated last week.
!!
!! Netscape makes a great replacement for Internet Explorer.
!!
!! Abiword seems to work OK, but sometimes appears to split lines and
I've had
!! problems importing an image into a document.  I haven't used Abiword
much,
!! but have already seen these problems.  What is a better alternative
that
!! isn't too bloated.  This is the major application we need for the
school.
!!
!! For spreadsheets in school, you need to make graphs.  Gnumeric seems
slick,
!! but last time I checked, *no graphs*.  I need graphical representation
of
!! data for test scores, etc.
!!
!! Is Star Office the answer?  Can the huge Star office package be broken
into
!! smaller more manageable parts?
!!
!! Thanks for previous help and thanks in advance,
!! Joe Golden,
!! The Stevens School of Peacham