Re: Using /dev/dsp?

On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 01:42:57PM -0600, Cameron Matheson wrote:
> Hey,
>
> /dev/dsp is a symlink to /dev/dsp0 (sorry, i meant to point that out).  I was
> wanting to be able to use *multiple* dsp's w/ one soundcard, so that I can run
> lots of programs at the same time (that need sound)

    This is typically not done with multiple dsps. If your sound module cannot
handle multiple sources, then one normally runs esd (the Enlightenment Sound
Daemon). You then configure your sound apps to talk to esd, which mux's the
sound together and sends a single stream to your soundcard.

    Check out the esound package.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a