Re: channging partition sizes without data loss

on Sat, May 19, 2001 at 10:02:13PM +0600, V.Suresh (suresh-grl@eth.net) wrote:
>  I want to shorten my 1 Gig root partition. To around 300-400 MB.
>  Without losing data. I mean, just want to resize the partition.
>  What software should I use?

There are "nondestructive" repartitioning tools.  All of them strongly
recommend that you back up your data.  All of them can completely foul
up your system.

My preference is full system backups to tape or networked storage, and
repartitioning via fdisk.

    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/backups.html
    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/partition.html

Cheers.