Re: Is Redhat that bad - a question.

On Sat, May 19, 2001, David Underwood wrote:
> I really don't know enough to comment on anything posted in that thread,
> my Linux knolwedge experiance / knoledge is'nt that extensive.
>
> I am aware though that the Debian policy is much stronger in relation to
> the 'packaging issue'. Presumably this is one of the contibuting factors
> to it's 'legendary' stability.
>
> For this reason I have recently began my journey with Debian.
>
> The upshoot of all this is, and please forgive my ignorance, but what
> exactlly is FHS and where can I find information about it.
>
> I am concious of my need to learn more!
>
> Regards
>
> David Underwood.

Hi David,

The FHS is the "Filesystem Hierarchy Standard".  More info at:
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

To quote from the abstract of the 12 Mar 2001 release:

"This standard consists of a set of requirements and
guidelines for file and directory placement under UNIX-like
operating systems.  The guidelines are intended to support
interoperability of applications, system administration tools,
development tools, and scripts as well as greater uniformity
of documentation for these systems."

Along similar veins (but more linux specific and larger in scope) is
the LSB --- Linux Standard Base --- info at: http://www.linuxbase.org/

Incidentally, to comment tangentially upon the 'Red Hat sucks' thread:

I use Debian on all machines I have control over (have to accept RH on
certain lab workstations such as this one from which I read mail) and
am immensely impressed with its stability, robustness, and overall
engineering.  However, the danger of portraying Red Hat Linux as
'sucking' is that it so compresses the space with which to judge
software engineering that truly bad stuff is artificially elevated.
Besides the fact that it often produces lots of email traffic (read:
possible flamewar) with much lower signal-to-noise ratio than normal
(here's hoping that this hasn't added to that effect :) ).

Hope the above helps and take care,

Daniel

--
Daniel A. Freedman
Laboratory for Atomic and Solid State Physics