Re: Questions (and hello) from a new (Progeny) Debian user.

On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 11:03:59AM +1000, Krisno Pryosusilo wrote:
> Hi,

> Question 1 : -> Is there a simple blow by blow description on how to
> install a deb package which is currently in a directory on my
> hard-drive?

dpkg -i filename

> The reason : ->
> I'm trying to install Opera and understand that I need to edit
> /etc/apt/sources.list .

you can change that file to do a few things, but it is not necessary
to do what you are asking.. perhaps you should revert it to how it was
for now.

> Question 2 : -> What do you think of Progeny? Is it really "not a
> separate distribution as Mandrake is to Red Hat"?

Donit have any strong  opinions on Progeny, I chose Debian and am
happy with it, but Good Luck to them and their customers.

> Question 3 : -> Why not make Debian easier to install and to operate
> with basic functionality (ie setup Internet access etc) to encourage
> non-techie users to get their feet wet?

Can't speak for the Debian people, but as a user when I got to Debian
I thought the balance was about right. I found some other
distributions threw far too much on the HD and also went a bit
overboard with automated setup and configuration stuff - to the extent
that I was falling over *their* configuration stuff in order to do my
own. No distro can please everyone.

> to eventually go *pure Debian. The other compelling reason is a gut
> feeling that I'm on to something worthwhile :)

Yes ;)