Re: X problems

On Fri, 18 May 2001, harsha wrote:

> hi,
>    i was using a potato system. i did a dist-upgrade to woody. the upgrade went without a hitch but for X. some packages were of version 3.3.6-18. i tried removing 3.3.6-18 but said dependency problems.
>
> I have Riva TNT2 ULTRA card. downloaded the binary drivers from nvidia and installed them.
>
> i am a newbie so didn't know i how it is quite worked. so assumed that i could safely remove xserver-svga. but that left me with out X. i am not quite clear on how to solve this.
>
> another thing i found when i tried to run mplayer -vo xv it says that XVideo definton missing. could someone give me links as to what this is all about. i wanted to use xine. but for a fs mode one needs Xv.
>
> how can i get this working,
>
> thanks is advance,
> regards
> harsha

The xserver thing is an upgrade problem - they went to v 4.x with Woody, and it uses some slightly different files.  dpkg -l > packages.list will give you a list of all your installed packages.  dpkg -r or apt-get remove all the x pavkages that are version 3.x, and rerun xf86config - this will give you a working config file and should let you run your xserver normally.  I'm not sure about your card, but I'm fairly sure that the drivers for it are supported directly by the newer kernels, and I'm also fairly sure that it's supported by the new version of X.

Good luck,
Steve