Re: 12 box network in small school

joe golden wrote:

> Our school has a Dell Dimension XPS T450 with
>         pentium III x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 3 450 MHz processor
>         128 MB Ram
>         one 5GB hard drive and one 3GB hard drive
>         ethernet card
>         Sony RW drive
> Can I use this as a *server* for a 12 machine linux network.
>
> Main workstation uses will be internet research and word processing.  I'm
> sure this machine could function fine as a NFS file server and proxy server
> for web pages.  Could it handle 12 simultaneous X sessions smoothly?
> Administration would be much easier if One server was doing all security and
> file permission checking, etc.

depends who you ask, and what your running on those X sessions. i work
at a place that specializes in thin client X technology and running on
a 330mhz ultrasparc II with 1024MB ram and a 9GB ide drive(ultra 10)
we can get 12 users on no problem(solaris 7). but if everyone wants
to run star office, or netscape or some other big app forget it. it's
not a limitation of X but a limitation of the box not being able
to physically handle 12 copies of big apps like netscape or star office.

if all it does is xterms and stuff though no worries.

as for xfree86 it should be able to do it too again depending on
the app(s) that your running. i would not attempt to run 12 copies
of the K desktop enviornment or gnome or something on 128MB ram.

ram is cheap..go for 512MB or 1GB.

nate

--
:::