Re: X hangs in mysterious ways

On Thu, 17 May 2001, Kevin Ross wrote:

> > What's funny is that VESA comes up right, it detects my card
> > beautifully; but then it complains that there aren't any screens.
>
> Sounds like it can't find a matching resolution and refresh rate.  The VESA driver is limited in what resolutions and refresh rates it will support.
>
> In Section "Monitor", try commenting out everything except the Identifier.  This will use a default set of refresh rates.
>
> In Section "Screen", try using conservative values.  Like for DefaultDepth, try 16.  And in the Subsection "Display" for 16 bit, try just 800x600.

	I've got VESA to work now.  I had to set it to use a bpp of 8, and
then it came up fine.  My computer has been up for 15 hours now, and I've
been in X all this time; so I guess things are working alright (Although
none of my consoles work now.  *sigh*  Something about the refresh rate
being too low.  (I always thought that text consoles ran at 60Hz.))

	Anyway, this leads me to suspect that it's my video card that's
busted (unlikely) or that the X driver is broken.  Should I try going back
to X 4.0.2 and see if that works?  (I had a computer a while ago with the
same type of video card, running X 4.0.2.)

	Actually, VESA mode isn't much slower than the accelerated driver.
X 4.0.3 doesn't seem to have working Direct Rendering support for ATI cards
yet.  All I'm missing are the pretty colours, and I can live without them
for the time being.

Simon