Re: Ati All-In-Wonder 128 Pro AGP?

On Wed, 16 May 2001, "Dana J . Laude" wrote:

> On Tue, 15 May 2001 13:32:49 Bart Szyszka wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anyone have any experience with setting up the
> > Ati All-In-Wonder 128 Pro AGP graphics card with
> > the latest task-x-window-system in unstable? I tried all
> > the ati options in xf86config without any luck. When I
> > run startx, all I get is a black blank screen. I know it's
> > the graphics card because I tried a different monitor
> > that works in Linux just fine and it got a blank screen too.
> > When I press Alt+Ctrl+F1, there aren't any errors. Any ideas?
> > I'm getting desperate here. Really need to get Linux working.
>
> I'd go to xfree86.org and check it out.  Personally I think
> the RAGE 128 Pro chipset is still not supported.  Sorry I
> can't be of more help.
>
> Found this on xfree86 for ya, but it's for 4.0.2.
> <-start->
> Accelerated support is provided for Mach64, Rage, Rage 128 and
> Radeon chips.  Unaccelerated support is provided for all of the
> others except the Mach8 and some early Mach32 chips by the
> "ati"
> driver.
> <-end->

If you're using sid, you probably using 4.0.x.  Try setting it up for unaccelerated video - tell it your using a standard SVGA card, and see if that works.  If it doesn't, you may be doing something wrong with your monitor configuration - X can be picky about supported monitor resolutions and whatnot.  If it does boot normally with the SVGA driver, then it's just a question of fine tuning your XF86config file - you want to use the r128 driver rather than the ati driver.

A decent walkthrough can be found at:
http://linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/hardware/ati_rage128.html

Good luck,
Steve