bootable utility cd

How do you create a bootable linux cd image, similar to the partimage
bootcd, but with a custom kernel (especially with the ability to do a mount
on a remote filesystem, such as NFS) along with any number of desired
utilities (such as partimage, parted, rsync, etc)? I know that partimage
uses a ramdisk of some kind, but I'm not sure if that's necessary.

If I knew how to do this, I think I could add the raw image of a hard drive
template and burn ONE cd that would have everything needed to restore a hard
drive.

--
Charles Lewis
lewisc@delta.swau.edu