aptitude holds back packages (while pt-get does not)

  since some time ago the aptitude started to act strangely - everytime
I do update (u) and then upgrade (g) it holds back huge number of
packages (20+).

  when I run apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade no packages (or only
two or three) are held back.

  I can manually set the packages to be updated (+) and they are
updated, so there is no reason to hold them back, I am pretty sure that
I did not put the packages on hold manually  (it happens repeatedly) -
anybody knows what's the deal? should I file a bug (there's no such bug
yet)

  I thought that the information about state of packages (like package
being held back) is shared among all the apt application (aptitude,
apt-get etc...), how come they are on hold in aptitude but not in
apt-get?

  TIA

	erik