Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 16:56:06 -0600 (MDT)
From: John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu>
To: Matthew Sackman <matthew@sackman.co.uk>
Subject: Re: dual NICs

On Wed, 16 May 2001, Matthew Sackman wrote:

>On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 01:06:31AM -0600, John Galt wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 May 2001, Zac Epkes wrote:
>>
>> >You can not have 1 NIC with 2 IPs simply not possible, i think u can buy
>> >network cards with upto 4 ports that all act alone, or something similar...
>>
>> Wrong!  eth0:1 and eth0:0...  _Never_ say something's impossible...

eth0:1 is IP aliasing with one wire and one NIC

>Um I'm getting slightly confused here: what I need is one card which has two
>or more independant eth ports on it which can be assigned seperate IPs. I.e.
>not IP aliasing - each eth port has only one IP address, but each eth port
>must appear to linux as a seperate eth port, appearing in effect as if I have
>4x single eth NICs in the box.

There were hardware lists...

>Is this possible with, say, 2 of the Intel Dual Port Server NICs?

I think they just show up as 2 eepro100's.  I've never actually had one to
check, but the code for eepro.o will just go ahead and find all eepro100's
(I've used multiple eepro100's in systems, just not the 2-on-a-card ones)
in your system, and I assume they use two chips for two ports.  The only
problem is Intel's networking is a hodgepoge of first approximations and
half-supported buyouts, so my guess is that the 2-port will work after a
fashion, it may just be painful to see happen.  JMHO...