Re: /dev/ttyS00?

On Wed, 16 May 2001, Cameron Matheson wrote:

>Hey,
>
>I'm trying to link to my agenda (through the serial cable).  But it won't work
>because when I try to start pppd, it gives me an error (ppp line not disciplined
>).  I was checking my kernel output, and I noticed that my serial ports are
>ttyS00, and ttyS01 (instead of the ttyS0 and ttyS1 they used to be).  Could this
>be the problem?  The dev files are still ttyS0 and ttyS1, which might be my
>problem...

If the Agenda is anything like a Palm, you don't use pppd.  You use things
like coldsync and pilot-xfer.  Agenda's website says that they use
Quicksync, so I'm guessing it's a degenerate HotSync (Palm's sync
protocol).  As for the ttyS01/ttyS1 issue, go with the canonical ttyS1.
The ttyS01 that you see in dmesg outpt is valid, but is pretty much
deprecated outside kernelspace.