Re: LILO and multiple disks

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 12:57:02PM -0500, Sean Morgan (macinslak@mac.com) wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 08:23:40PM +1000, Travis Place wrote:
> > i managed to get windows to boot from /dev/hdb1 by inserting this into
> > lilo.conf...
> >

> > other=/dev/hdb1
> >        label=Win98
> >        table=/dev/hdb
> >        map-drive=0x80
> >          to=0x81
> >        map-drive=0x81
> >          to=0x80
> >

> > so yeah, it works...but i couldnt get it to work from /dev/hdc1
>
> Did you change the drive mappings to indicate hdc (0x81 becomes 0x82)?
> It won't fly if you just change "other=/dev/hdb1" to "other=/dev/hdc1".

I don't have expertise in this field, but for quite a while, when I used
to dual boot RedHat from one disk, & win95 from another, my lilo.conf
file was:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
disk = /dev/hdc
        sectors = 63
	heads = 255
	cylinders = 784

other=/dev/hdc1
	map-drive = 0x80
		to = 0x81
	map-drive = 0x81
		to = 0x80
	label = win95
	table = /dev/hdc

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.31
	label=linux
	root=/dev/hda1
	read-only

To date, although I haven't given it a Herculean effort, I have not been
successful in modifying my Debian lilo.conf file to chose to boot from a
re-mapped hdc1.

Again, I am very much non-computer literate, and I couldn't explain the
detail of why this worked.

Barry Mathieu