in.telnetd

In order to allow a friend to use a program on my
machine, I wish to let her telnet in (I dislike
telnet, but she's not allowed to install SSH :( ).

Anyhow, I tried to setup the telnet damian and when I
attempt to start it by hand I get:

$/usr/sbin/in.telnetd
in.telnetd: getpeername: Socket operation on
non-socket

The lines in /etc/inetd.conf for this are:
telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/in.telnetd -a
valid

And lastly, if osmeone attempts to telnet in (to let
inetd.conf start it up) the error log shows:

May 25 13:35:05 c606733-b inetd[4608]: getpwnam:
telnetd: No such user
May 25 13:35:05 c606733-b tcplogd: telnet connection
attempt from NO-IDENTD@[123.456.78.910]

Suggestions?  Thanks muchly :)

=====
"God, Root. What is the difference?"