Re: mount/umount hangs after I messed with /etc/mtab

> I am unable  to mount/umount anything after messing
> with my /etc/mtab last  night (I  had removed  a floppy

You shouldn't touch /etc/mtab. It's somewhat of a "live" file. It's
a real-time representation of what's currently mounted.

The file you would normally edit is /etc/fstab.

> Any idea how to reset  this? Renaming  /etc/mtab doesn't
> seem to  help!  Neither does rebooting! (Of  course, the box
> won't shutdown cleanly since  it can't umount  anything,
> although  for some  reason  it does  mount stuff  on
> boot-up.)

I'm real surprised that rebooting doesn't fix it... Maybe try
"mount -a". That will attempt to mount or re-mount devices spec'd in
/etc/fstab and in the process, re-write your /etc/mtab file.

Hall