two gdm problems

Hi,

I'm using woody gnome after deleting all the ximian stuff on my system.
Everything is working fine, but gdm produces some problems.

After logging out from one session, I cannot login again. X is starting, but gnome won't come up.
If I kill the session using ctrl-alt-backspace, gdm dies and I can start X using startx from the command line.

When I choose halt or reboot from the login screen, gdm starts an X session (but not gnome) instead of doing a shutdown.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Chris