Making custom base-install CD

I would like to make a custom install CD for just the base system.

I understand that all you need is the following files from:
http://ftp.au.debian.org/pub/debian/dists/stable/main/disks-i386/current/

base2_2.tgz
drivers.tgz
install.bat
md5sum.txt
images-2.88/kernel-config
images-2.88/rescue.bin

You have to somehow make the CD boot the rescue.bin image?  Then you
could use dselect to get the rest of the packages you need.

Basically, I would like to have such a CD, and include a backup of my
/etc, /var, /home, /usr/local directories as well as dpkg selections.
This way, if I stuffed my system and had to re-install then all I would
have to do is:
Install base system, set up ADSL
dpkg --set-selections < /cdrom/dpkg_selections
dselect (skip "select" part) and install
Then copy over the backups of /etc, /var, /home, /usr/local

And I should be back and running.

How do you make such a bootable base install CD?  Is it possible to do
this?

Regards
Mark.