Re: Karsten's browser reviews (updated)

Thanks Karsten for the interview, very useful, just some remarks:

1. Opera

Opera is in stable 5.0 now (as of yesterday, at least on the ftp
server, you might want to give it a try, debs available, it is a
very easy call to test)

2. Netscape

It is in 4.77 now, and though not much changed, I downloaded it -
after I had some weird problems with 4.75 on potato - and adjusted
the fonts, etc. After a year pause in using Netscape, this was a
surprise. It loaded within 10 sec on my PII/350/128M system -
previously I had to wait sometimes 25-30 secs (!).
Even konqi and opera needs 5-7 secs to load...

It appears more stable (yes I run Java). Somewhere I saw a note on
distro-included netscapes (Mandrake and Debian was listed), it was
suggested to use netscape navigator standalone right from the
Netscape. That is what I did. I do not know whethet this caused a
change ot the higher version no., but it WORKS now.

Yes the GUI sucks, but what do you do when you reallu HAVE TO look
at a web page and galeon died on it, opera cannot render it, konqi
ditto?! (yes there are WEB pages like that). You fall back to the
good ol' netscape... At least I am. It allways worked for me as a
last resort.

3. Konqi

I always wanted to use it, because I use KDE as my desktop, it is
nicely integrated, it is a pleasure to work with. But until KDE
2.1.1, there were simply too many WEB pages which cannot be rendere
by Konqi. But now it rocks.

3. Sorry, I do not have opinion about Galeon I never tried it.

So Nowadays I use Konqi > Opera > Netscape. Order of preference.