xfree86 4.0.2 & keyboard

hey debians,

i just dist-upgraded to testing and am now running XF86 4.0.2.
however, my keyboard seems to be going wild. I have the following
settings:

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier  "Generic Keyboard"
  Driver    "keyboard"
  Option    "CoreKeyboard"
  Option    "XkbRules"  "xfree86"
  Option    "XkbKeymap" "xfree86(us)"
  Option    "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
  Option    "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
  Option    "XkbModel"  "pc101"
  Option    "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

which is precisely what I had with 3.3.6 (in the new format). now,
however, my windowmaker keyboard shortcuts do not work anymore, and
the keyboard delay and refresh rate is insane. okay, I do xset r rate
100 255 in .xsession, but that was perfect in 3.3.6. now i get an
incredible repeat rate (like 1000 or so) with virtually *no* delay, so
it's really hard to write this email right now. anyway, strangely, in
rxvt, the deletion of a line doesn't happen in real-time, i hit
backspace and the cursor sits there, and if i release the key like a
quarter of a second later, the entire line is gone - unacceptable. in
vi, the behavior is more normal, but the repeat rate is still insane.
any suggestions from your side?

3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.