Re: upgrade to testing

On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 01:08:03PM -0400, MaD dUCK wrote:
> hey guys,
> i would finally like to pull one of my systems up to testing, but i
> still can't really afford losing it, so i am a little cautious. i
> guess i would simply like to know if anyone of you had previous bad
> experiences with the dist-upgrade. i am on a laptop, currently running
> potato with a custom kernel 2.4.4 and pcmcia-cs build. should i just
> do it? it isn't reversible, is it?

I went potato -> woody on my home system about a week ago, and got
sidetracked for a bit by a couple of bugs, both of which are documented
in the Debian bug system.  I was able to work through both, and am
very happy with woody on that machine.  However, my production server is
gonna stay potato for now :P.

Early in the install, perl got into a state where it could not find
Glob.pm.  This hosed installation scripts on several packages, preventing
them from configuring, which blocked many more packages.  I was able
to work through this one by figuring out which perl packages *would*
install
and installing them manually via dpkg -i .  This went quickly, since the
required packages were alrealy sitting in apt's cache.

I had a hard time getting an xserver to configure (either version 3 SVGA or
the version 4 server).  The postinstall script failed.   I saw in the
bug data base where Brandon directed the person who reported this bug to
use a specific commandline to run the postinstall script manually.  I
did this on my machine.  The script still exited with an error, but
something changed, and one more trip through configure resulted in a
correctly configured server.

I am using ximian gnome 1.4, and got into a dependency conflict with
gnomeprint or something to do with gnumeric.
I just ditched gnomeprint and gnumeric rather than spending time figuring
out a fix.

Hope this helps.

Mike
rather than spending time figuring out a fix.